Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Starting Daycare

Well, the week started off innocently enough. Norah had a good weekend last week spending every second possible glued to daddy unaware of what was about to happen come Monday. Here she is getting ready for a bath.
And tasting soy milk for the first time. She wants everything that comes in a glass!

YUMMY!!! Then the dreaded Monday morning. We were the first one to arrive at her school and she was pretty bewildered by the whole thing. She was still sleepy and kind of out of it.
Norah's room & crib. See, it does not look like a horrible place....
Barnabas and I gave her kisses and told her we loved her and would get her later. She of course, had no idea what we were talking about. We were just trying not to cry so she wouldn't get upset.
Then I set her down in the ball pit to play and we snapped a few more pics and then snuck out the door.
Oblivious to the fact we were about to leave her there....
Well, it didn't go well which was expected. We only called twice on the first day and that was super hard since every single person I spoke to at work was asking about her. It is hard to put it in the back of your mind when people keep bringing it up. So on day 1 they pretty much said she was "fussy" which I am pretty sure really meant she was screaming her head off. When Barnabas picked her up she had mentally checked out. She would not make eye contact and was very quiet. He said she was just shell-shocked. Day 2 was worse, she knew what was coming when he dropped her off and then would not sleep at all that day. She came home acting slightly better but very fussy and exhausted. Day 3 I think was better than day 2 but again she was not sleeping, only "resting" in the ball pool. Barnabas said that she reached for him the minute he set foot in the door and was in a much better mood that night, even smiling a little for me. Then on Thursday she woke up snotty but acting normal so back to school she went but I picked her up that day and she was practically comatose. She was in the swing when I got there and would not look at me at all. It was pretty much like Monday all over again except it was with me which made me have a breakdown when Barnabas got home and Norah would not let me hold her. I feel upset again just writing about it. It is incredibly hard going from being with her 24/7 to only seeing her maybe 1.5 to 2 hours a day and those are not even "quality" time. You know, she might be in the room playing in her high chair while I cook dinner or something and I talk to her but she is staring off into space because she hasn't slept more than 30 minutes all day. By the time dinner and clean up are over it is bed time for her, if she can manage to stay awake that long. I am hating the whole thing. I know it will take some time for her to adjust but I really hoped that it would go a little more smoothly. Anyway, back to Norah. So she cut BOTH her front top 2 teeth on Thursday so for me, that explained the snottiness of the a.m. Then on Friday they called me at 11:30 and told me she was running a temp. of 102.7 and it was steadily increasing. I rushed out of work, got her and by the time I got home her temp. was at 103.3. I gave her some Tylenol, fed her some Yo Baby, changed her poppy butt and put her down for a nap. By the time we got into the doctor's her temp was down to 100.5. Doc said it was just a virus but her throat was so red and she was hoarse (undoubtedly from crying all week) she ran a strep test anyway which came back negative. So Tylenol was it and we went home to relax from this stressful week.
And what does one do to relax?
SWIM of course!! Norah was better Saturday morning, yakking away and a temp. under 100 so we went ahead with our plans to spend some time at friend, Tracy's house. I just thought that floating in a pool was probably just the same as sitting in her Exersaucer, not physically taxing and the nice cool water might even help a bit. You know, sunshine and fresh air and some lovin' from mom and dad ... =)
Well, it went like this...


Get me the HELL out of this THING!!
So, I think the water was just a little cool for her there at the beginning. But soon she chilled out and floated with dad all over the pool. Tracy got some better pics, I had to put the camera away because Barnabas did not think that digital SLRs belong in a pool. Grrrr.
See, not so bad...

And the mandatory froggy towel to dry off....

And when we got home and put her down from her nap she went right to sleep.. or so we thought and then 5 minutes later she was jabbering at the top of her lungs so I went to check on her and she was standing in her crib for the very first time. (Jabbering kinda like she is now...) Unfortunately I did not get a pic and today we dropped the crib to the lowest level so I am not sure she will do it again soon.
But she woke up a snotty whiny baby today on Father's Day... she how pathetic she looked....
P....A.... T.....H....E....T......I.....C !!!

I also noticed she is getting ready to cut another bottom tooth.
STOP TAKING PICTURES OF ME!!!
Ooh and my art project Tracy helped me with on Saturday is below. This is Norah's binder for daycare. They put all of her "art" projects in it all year for us. I always thought I was too much of a perfectionist for scrap booking but this was fun. Maybe I will give it a try...
Here's hoping week 2 goes better than week 1.



2 comments:

K said...

I'm completely in denial about having to leave Tori in 3 weeks to go to work. I hope it's easier soon. She is so adorable!!!

Stacie said...

I love the frog towel! We have pictures of Micah from all stages in his frog towel! (Even from 1 day after we came home from Ethiopia - yep, we took him swimming!) Norah is just too adorable! I hope this week is going better!