Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, February 17, 2008

At the Mekong Delta

All in all, it was a good trip.  It's a bit of a tourist trap (as in, get you out to an island and then give you the opportunity to buy lots of stuff) but was a really good time and interesting to see, in person, such an important place in both Vietnamese and American history.

 

095

A line of tourist boats.

 

097

I highly recommend some type of baby slingy-thingy.  It makes life sooooo much easier when one's tramping through a jungle or some other such terrain.

 

099

Our baby.

 

101

Here's a view of the ledge that we had to climb over to get onto the boat.  Dani was a bit nervous, but she made it.  Actually, not one of us from either family fell in the water at any point.  Success!

 

103

Leia and Deacon.

 

104

105

106

116

121

126

This is our tour guide, Kim, showing us how they spike open the coconuts at the candy workshop.  At first, she would begin each sentence with "Ladies and gentlemen" then I think she realized that wasn't really necessary.  She was very friendly.  Towards the end of the tour, she said that we must be the richest people there because we have our own private airport (referring to the bald strip on the top of my head that one could land a plane on).  She thought that was real funny until I gave her 500 dong for a tip--16,000 dong equal one US Dollar.  (Just kidding, of course.)

 

128

Here's the machine that extracts the coconut milk from the pulp.

 

130

Stirs and heats the milk, or something or other.  I don't remember.  I just wanted some candy.

 

131

A big pool of yummy coconut goodness.

 

135

This was when I realized that we were just there to buy stuff.  Which, of course, we did.  We didn't want to be rude, after all.

 

136

138

Back on the boat.  Again, no falling into the water!

 

139

The boat driver steered the boat with his feet.  Much more impressive than when I steer the car with my left knee.

 

143 

As of now, there is no bridge over the Mekong River (at least at this point, or anywhere along it) so people have to take ferries.  This bridge will be done within a few years.

 

148

151

The barges carry mostly rice up the river.

 

152

Welcome to Unicorn Island.

158

This gibbon would reach through the bottom of his cage and grab anything he could get his hands on.  He managed to grab Dani's knee as she walked by.

 

162

Huuuuuge python.

 

163

The other gibbon.  This one was much more well-behaved.

 

164

169

170

175

178   

180

One of a couple samplings along the way.  This one was different local fruits.  Most were yummy.  One thing I'll be doing back at home is dipping pineapple in a mixture of salt and crushed red chili peppers. 

 

181

182

Here's a before and after of the little weird eyeball fruit.  When the exterior is peeled, it reveals a squishy little gel-covered seed.  Yeah.

 

183

My two girls.

 

186

This fruit "smells like hell and tastes like heaven" according to Kim.  We didn't taste it but the smell part is true.

 

189

This baboon would get jealous if you showed any kind of affection to each other.  If we held hands he would raise his eyebrows up (which is a reaction to stress or a threat).

 

191

193 

A monkey bridge.  I totally wanted to cross it but I figured it would be a bad idea with Norah strapped to me when I fell into the water and contracted some random parasite.

 

198

Another big snake, this one slowly constricting Dani to her death.

 

205

206

Ok.  I'm not sure how to delicately describe what happened just minutes before this picture was taken.  Behind me are the restrooms and I'm coming out, fairly happy and pleased with myself that Norah and I are still dry.  And I never took the sling off once.    Uh, yeah.  Next picture.

 

209

Hand-made linens.

 

210

Those are little snakes stuffed into these bottles.  Yum?

 

220

226

After Dani took this picture our guide asked her, "What did you just take a picture of?"  Dani said, "The cups.  They're pretty."  The guide was so confused. 

 

228

More yummy coconut goodies.

 

230

More feeding of the Norah.  She's definitely gotten her appetite back.

 

234

242

We took little four-person rowboats back to the main tourist boats.  This part was definitely my favorite of the tour for two reasons, I got to wear the rockin' ).

 

250

The women who were driving these rowboats were amazingly strong.

 

252 

Boats passing.  They warned us to keep our fingers inside the boats since they'd pretty much smack into each other as they passed.

 

260

My head in a cone amongst the trees.

 

269

272

276 

279

283

285

291

One of few ferries going back and forth.

 

298

Apparently these houses on stilts are slowly being dismantled and will all be gone within a few years.

 

303

307

7 comments:

Jess said...

You got some beautiful shots!
I love the one of Norah looking up and Barn looking down, very sweet.
And, I know you took the picture of Dani with the python just to creep me out! Ewwwww!

Unknown said...

Again, great pictures for your future "Short Story" or long story book about Norah's home country. Norah looks very alert and is very interested and happy taking it all in. The 3 of you look like you are totally enjoying all the wonderful experiences Vietnam has to offer. We look forward to all the pictures and daily adventures of the Abram's family!!!!!
LOL,
Granny Janny and PaPa NeNe

Dawn said...

The trip sounds great! Was it planned for you by your agency? I looks very similar ot one that a friend took last year. I think you are with the same agency. If you have any information to share that mightbe helpful in booking it, I would really appreciate it. WeAreAdopting @ yahoo

Anonymous said...

I'm loving your journal. Fun to read and I'm reliving our trip! We loved Kim - Ed kept wandering off and she would say (in her great accent), "Edward, please stay with the group. Edward, we're over here..." Oh, and Ed(ward) loved the chili pepper and salt mixture for the fruit as well. He started asking for it at the Rex every morning.

Keep having fun!! You'll want to go back shortly after you come home, so enjoy every minute. So glad Norah seems to be doing well. She's a doll, even if she does poo in the ducky tub!!!

Kathryn said...

I love your blog. All the photos are great, it feels like we are vicariously on the trip with you. Now the python, will in no way be anyway near any part of my body! Neither my husband nor I care for snakes, especially huge pythons! There's just no way!

K said...

I just want to thank you guys for keeping up with the blog while you are there.

Sorry about the poop. It IS gross, but necessary.

Gran B said...

How I look forward to seeing this each...perhaps you can continue this blog until Norah is say...at least 16 years old.

Sounds like all three of you are having a great time! It has certainly been great following your travels and seeing all of you in the great photos. Gran B.