Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, February 16, 2008

On the road to the Mekong

There are so many photos, I thought I'd break them up a bit.  Yesterday morning found us heading south for a tour of the Mekong Delta.  It was nice to see a slightly different side of Vietnam.  While most of the land we rode through was still fairly urban, it was more small towns than the major metropolitan madhouse of Saigon.

 

001

At this point, we had seen just about everything on a motorbike.  Trees, cables, infants, babies, and now dogs.

 

004  

There were quite a few Happy Valentines Day banners and such around.  The Vietnamese celebrate the day as we do.

 

009 

It's interesting to see the variety of shops within feet of each other.  There will be fine clothing shops like this one, and then a few doors down will be a random mechanic's shop or teddy bear emporium.

 

011

We crossed over many rivers on the way.  We have no idea if it was all the Saigon or the Mekong. 

 

013

There were a lot of really nice homes on the way also.  Again, it was interesting to see these types of homes next to ramshackle huts.  Massive juxtaposition all over this country.

 

022

With my geektitude in art history/architecture, I can't stop paying attention to the fact that almost all of the architecture here is either French influenced/neo-classical or very modern/utilitarian/Communist-influenced.  That's all I'll say about that at the risk of putting everyone to sleep.

 

027

028

032

I can't imagine putting Norah on one of these things.  Not to say it isn't safe, but wow.

 

036

041

046

Taking a little nappy-poo.

 

054

Look closely at this man.  While most Vietnamese people tend to have on long-sleeves and whatnot this time of year, apparently this gentleman needed to air himself out a bit.

 

063

I don't think I could walk with this bundle of cables, much less ride on the motorbike.

 

069

We started seeing a lot of these small little graveyards spotted around the fields. 

 

077

Every now and then you'll see a woman riding side-saddle.  Again, I can't imagine.  I kept having these darting fears that I was going to hit a bump and shoot right off the back when I was riding on one.  Whoop!  Thump thump thump.  Dead fat American in the road.

 

079

So many beautiful lush fields here.

 

085

Ducks!

 

089

Cow!

 

091

Baby!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I just got caught up and I'm loving following your journey!!! It sounds like things are going really well for you. I'm happy to hear it! I loved the details about Norah and am really enjoying your photos. Keep exploring and enjoying youselves.

Pop & Nannah Golden said...

We send our love to the happy travelers!

Pop & Nanah